Even though we don´t mention anywhere we are hiring we get a lot of applications. Like one or two per day. Don´t hesitate to send yours, especially if you really really want a job at Wombats and can name a reason why we really really should hire you, but don´t be dissapointed if we don´t even answer, because the answer would always be the same and we´re tired of typing it: Thanx for your application. There are no availavle jobs right now, but we keep it along with all the others in a mighty fat file folder. Next time we hire, we´ll have a closer look at it.
The following text is not to tell you that we are actually hiring right now, but to tell you what a job at Wombats is all about and what exactly it is what we are looking for - when we are looking ;)
- Working in a hostel is really as cool as you imagine it.
- Working in a good hostel, where the guests are happy, is even cooler.
- Working in a good hostel which prides itself to pay a tad better than others is very, very cool indeed.
- You need to be a EU citizen or have a EU work permit. We don't want to get into that sort of trouble.
- We don't hire staff "just for a few months". Guests appreciate staff with a little experience with what they are doing.
- Fluent English is a must. At least some German, too for bar and cleaning staff - for reception, you absolutely need to be able to handle any sort of situation in German). Not all our guests speak English, after all.
OK - you are still reading? That's what we are looking for:
- Outgoing, sociable and straightforward characters who are not afraid of the occasional stressful time.
- Experience is good, but judgement is the key. You have the required brains and self-confidence to handle a tricky situation.
- Running a hostel is teamwork! No prima donnas, please.
- Some travel experience helps a lot. We don't want to explain what a "hostel" is. If you know what people expect when they stay in one, it'll be a hell lot easier to fulfill these expectations.
- We want staff who like their job. If they don't, the guests will notice. They are actually pretty good at spotting that. The crux of the matter is - they are the ones who pay your salary in the end. This is the service sector. We need people who really like to deliver a good service.
What sorts of jobs are there anyway?
- Bartenders: we hire these for 8 hours per week.
- Receptionists: between 20 and 40 hours per week. Some do only nightshifts, others work during the day & evening.
- Cleaners: full-time or minijob (12 hours/week). Despite the "dirty work" the cleaners are the ones who really stay in our team many years. So - chances are low you get one of these jobs.
What do we offer?
- Fair pay.
- Yes, we know, money doesn't matter to you. There is good fun to be had with guests from all over the world and a wicked team of fellow staffers.
- Wombat's is a well-respected name in the European hostel scene. It's a growing branch of business, there are careers to be made. Our credentials will help.
Email your application to the senior commander-in-chief of the general corporate supervisory board of the personnel selection and recruiting task force, our distinguished colleague Sophie: sophie(at)wombats.eu. Even if we don´t hire right now, we´ll print out your application to keep it for times when we do. There are around 40 jobs in each of our hostels, so it happens more often than you think.